Torta Ljiljana, more succinctly
Like a lasagne, only dessert.
1 packet dried yeast or equivalent
¼ c warm water
½ c room-temperature sour cream
¾ lb or 375 g soft butter
4 large egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
4 c flour
• Dissolve yeast in water, combine with sour cream.
• Cream butter. Beat in wet ingredients. Fold in flour.
• Divide dough into three portions. Cover in plastic and let rest 20 minutes.
16 oz, 1 lb or 500 g walnuts, ground
¾ c sugar
1 t cinnamon
½ t nutmeg
3 c apricot filling
• Roll pastry dough out into three rectangles the size of your cookie sheet.
• In cookie sheet, stack (from the bottom up):
— Nut mixture (set aside ½ cup nut mixture for topping)
— Apricot filling
• Bake 40 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
4 large egg whites
⅛ t cream of tartar
½ c sugar
• Make meringue and spread it over the hot torta as it comes out of the oven.
• Top with remaining ½ cup of nut mixture.
• Bake 12 minutes at 400°F/200°C.
Cut into diamonds when cool.